Mailzor is a basic utility library to help generate and send emails using the Razor view engine to populate email templates, designed to be quickly pluggable into your .NET app.
In our applications we send out HTML formatted emails, and seed them with a variety of data. I thought it would be easy to write them as razor files (cshtml) and then use the razor engine to generate them and send.
It’s up on NuGet and with the release of v220.127.116.11, it’s more stable.
For the most up to date info follow along with the usage sections of the readme.md file on the github repository.
How it works
I thought I would share some background about the development of it, and hiccups along the way. The original set of code came from Kazi Manzur Rashid, which solved the problem of making use of System.Web.RazorTemplateEngine, which I extended (with permission) to be usable as an injectable dependency and via NuGet.
The core elements are, the creation and management of the SMTP client, the building up of the MailMessage. Then all the compilation related work to get the RazorTemplateEngine up and running.
The RazorTemplateEngine logic boils down to taking the razor file stored on disk and using CSharpCodeProvider.CompileAssemblyFromDom. So if you’re curious about this code in particular dig into EmailTemplateEngine.cs in the project files.
Prior to version .10 where I went down the path of using ilmerge to solve conflicts of version mismatch with System.Web.Razor.
It seems easy seeing how I took an existing chunk of operational code and extended, and it only seems easy when it is working, but when it doesn’t work and you’ve got strange compilation errors, debugging this mechanism is not the greatest. I found myself hunting for temporary files and trying to have other compiler flags to output more information.
In the early versions it was heavily the case of “works on my machine”, but now its fine and seems to be feature complete…